Monday, April 14, 2014

Museum Job

1. I have had a Museum job. I worked at the Autry National Center in the museum's store as an intern for a short period. The position as a "store intern" involved errands throughout the museum for the other workers as well as doing inventory and usual store-related tasks.

I acquired the position by Burcaw's description of (2.) Through personal acquaintance with museum directors, they have been asked to fill vacancies or have been recommended to the directors' colleagues in other museums. I didn't know the workers who hired me to the store, but had grown up going to workshops at the museum, which were community outreach based activities. I had been a long term continuous presence, and knew many workers for different reasons.

2. Manager, Public Relations / Hammer Museum

Los Angeles, California
The Manager, Public Relations generates copy for press releases and story ideas for press; schedules and coordinates media photography and filming; maintains production and press schedules; and develops and maintains working relationships with media representatives. This position acts as the Hammer Calendar editor by assisting in drafting copy, compiling copy and images, circulating, and managing mailing. Participates in development of Museum website. Assists with press previews, conferences, meetings, and special events. Please visit http://hammer.ucla.edu/about/employment_and_internships.html for more information.
(California Association of Museums)

I choose the position as the Public Relations Manager at the HAMMER Museum because I am familiar with the Hammer museum and always made a point to go to this museum when I was younger. I like the idea of being a Public Relations Manager because I have experience being a performer and would be able to sympathize with visiting artists/owners needs and ideas. I have organized my own shows where I made executive decisions regarding press, scheduling/booking, maintaining relations with public, designing flyers, and websites. I know how to get a show going smoothly and I have fun witnessing the event unfold to please and teach the participants. 


  • Experience in organizing large social events
  •  Professional and Ethical attitude
  • Worked in Museum environment
  • Thorough worker

No comments:

Post a Comment